Adios

    Pain is a dark reminder of our priorities. Especially when the pain seems like your heart is being squeezed. You can't breathe. You can't move. That was enough...

    ...to wake me up. The time is well beyond 6am. Feeling a bit tired, but that has become a thing now. I managed to get freshen up. After that, I check my weight to observe that I have lost another half kilogram in a month. With a sigh, I have noted the latest value. I proceeded to read the newspaper and then check today's schedule. No meetings in the morning half. I can reach the office a little late today. After sitting for a few minutes, I started to the office.

    Here I am, in my cabin. There is a knock on the door. "Come in", I say.

"Hi sir, Good morning..." I see a guy, standing in front of me.

"Hi... What is it? How can I help you?" I don't think he has come for my help. He is smiling. Is it blushing?

"Just need a minute with you."

"Sure. But before proceeding, just a gentle reminder not to use the word 'sir' with me. Please." 

"Sorry, sir. uh... Sorry. It's just out of respect..."

"Show the respect in your work. Not in the word." 

"You people feed on respect"

No. I don't want to be reminded of that now. I adjusted myself to focus on the guy in front of me.

"I am here to invite you to our marriage."

"Is it? Congrats!"

"Thanks. The marriage is in 3 months. I want to inform you prior because I want you to attend it. A big fan of your work."

"That's nice of you. Three months. I will note that."

I am trying so hard not to ask a question that I generally ask and end up hurting myself, but anyway I ask, "So, is it a love marriage or an arranged one? If I may ask..."

"Love marriage." There he is, blushing again. 

Ok. I should not have asked that. "That's nice."

I wish him good luck and ask him for updates on the current task (after all, a manager is a manager), and during the discussion, my phone vibrates. I recognize the number and cut it. 

"Sorry, a wrong number," I tell him.

"No problem."

After a few minutes, another call. But this is a different number. I am sure that it is the same person calling with another number. However, giving the benefit of the doubt, I lift the call. 

"Don't cut the call. It's important.." I recognize the voice and obviously did cut the call. When they're expecting you to cut the call, we have to live up to their expectations, right?

There is no other call for the next few minutes. I send out this guy without further disturbance. Before lunchtime, the phone again vibrates. Why are they calling me suddenly these many times? Not that I care, but I want to hear the other side. I lift the call and say "Say it quickly. Not have much time."

"He is in a critical condition. He is asking for you. Come on, he's your.."

"No. He’s not anything to me!!" I cut the call. I take a deep breath. 

***

After supper, I notice a caller ID on my mobile during a meeting with the office people (not the morning guy). I informed them that I needed to drop. 

"Hello?" I say.

"How are you?", she asks.

"Good. You?"

"I am fine. Today, in the morning, you got a call..."

"Oh. So they asked you to talk to me? They knew that I would listen to you."

"No. I know that you will listen to me because you listened to me once. You gave your word."

She continues, "I know this is tough for you. However, I don't want to force you. It is your choice."

I take a moment. "Will you be there? They should have asked for you as well right?"

"Yes, I will be there. But not yet. Right now, he needs you more."

"Fine. Where is he now?"

"Home."

I take a deep sigh. "Ok. I will start at the earliest possible."

"Thanks."

"Can you promise me one thing?", he asked out of nowhere.

"Yeah, tell me."

"When I am on the deathbed.."

"No, don't say such things..." I tried to stop.

"Just let me finish. When I am on my deathbed, promise me that you'll be there beside me."

"No, I won't promise."

"What?"

I smiled. "You need not ask me for that. Wherever I am, whatever I am doing, I will be there whenever you ask for me."

Thought that the greatest promises were the ones that were fulfilled without being stated. 
"I promise I will be with you" - Just be there.
"I promise I won't hurt you" - Don't hurt. 
"I promise I will take care of you" - Treat in your best way.

That's why I did not promise him on that day. Then there was another point in my life where I was asked to promise and I did not. But the reason was different...

I shook myself off. That's too much of a load to think right now. Here I am, preparing to see him for the last time alive. I may not forgive him. But I don't want to hurt him, not at this time. I grab my things, pack them and start. Time to visit my brother.

**End of part 01**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Diary - Part 3/7 - The Bloggers League

The Diary - Part 2/7 - The Bloggers League

The Diary - Part 1/7 - The Bloggers League 2022