The Farewell Speech - v2.0

 


    Everyone in the class was in a festive mood. On the last day of their graduation, all were giving speeches in their own style. Some were trying to overcome their shyness and fear. Aditya overcame his stage fear. Shekhar overcame his feeble voice. Vani overcame her tendency to laugh. However, others were lifting up the spirits with their own swag, as usual.

    Then came his turn. He actually thought to prepare and talk. But he was in no mood. He had to pay for that mistake - an impromptu speech and that too on a non-technical subject. He did not want to ask some more time. He did not want to observe others and copy them. He proceeded to the stage through the cheers of the audience.

    "Hello everyone", he was still shivering. He continued. "We had a long time together. Enough time for a memorable journey. A journey from strangers to best friends. A journey from best friends to enemies. A journey from careless to responsible people. A journey of rising. A journey of fall. A journey towards better clarity. Some of you may not explain your journey in simple words. In that case, join me in your team..!"

    He was taking a brief pause between words. He was getting agitated. His brain instantly made him a documentary of his life from the past four years. He was not recovering all his memories. Because he did not have enough memories to recall. What to expect from a group of people who had not done anything for him? He wanted to express himself. He said, "The thing is I am still shivering to talk in front of you. Instead of being close with you, I am still seeing you as strangers, and so do you. You knew nothing about me. I knew nothing about you. I am feeling like I was getting out of school. I just have people and their contacts from school. Not friends and best friends."

    He was getting emotional. But not that type one could expect on a college farewell day. He remembered his friend's words about friendship. "One of our people said that during this long period of graduation, everyone will get to have a best friend in our class. No, that's not correct. People will not become close because they stay together. They get close when they want to do so, when they desire it, accept it, and are okay with it. I did not want to disturb anyone coming here from their colleges with their own world. See me now - when the whole class is feeling like they miss each other so badly, I am seeing all of you with no single emotional point triggering in my brain. As if I don't mind what's happening here, as if I don't know who you are, as if I don't belong here."

    Everyone was looking in silence. He knows his speech may have many flaws. He didn't want to address those. Anyway, he did not want to prove that he was the brightest person. Others had already proved they are superior to him. "You know what, the first mistake happened when you people (pointing to boys) tried to protect me from seniors by ragging. You thought that'd prevent me from getting bullied. But that actually did more harm than help. Thanks to you I am still that socially awkward and fearing boy who just passed 10th class. While you guys had the hardships to become strong people."

    He knew that hostlers were not strong too. They had their own groups. But that group was united at least. His group had only two people, him and himself. "Actually thanks to you for leaving me alone all this time. I don't have attachments that blind me from making good decisions in life. I knew about myself better and am sure that none of you ever had that much clarity about yourself. I was able to connect with old friends. I had time to overcome my regrets. I had time to know and follow my hobbies and passion. I may not be a topper. I have a ton of regrets. I, maybe the best loser in this whole batch. But you know what, you didn't know how horrible I could go because you were not there. Thanks for hiding my dark side. I may not be the well-settled guy, I may not be the most earning person, I may not ever see you again. Because I don't want to. As our Gowri asked, for the task of expressing you people in three words, here is my answer, F**K YOU ALL...!!!"

    He threw the mic. He went out of the class. He went out of the building. He went out of the campus. He went out of the city. He never turned back. He never saw back. He never came back.

****

    "Hey, Deva, Are you daydreaming? Come on yaar, you have to give the speech now", said Vinesh. Deva smiled and proceeded to the stage.


Thank you for reading guys..!! How was the story to you? Feel free to express your views and suggestions...

P. S. What was your best memory in your college?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Diary - Part 3/7 - The Bloggers League

The Diary - Part 1/7 - The Bloggers League 2022

The Diary - Part 2/7 - The Bloggers League